Spring/Summer

Friday, June 24, 2011

Kinley MARSHA

Kinley MARSHA Gant. Kinley's middle name is after my beloved mother, Marsha. My mom would have turned 65 on June 19th of this year. I have never blogged about her but feel it's appropriate with this milestone just passing and Kinley having her name. My mom passed nearly 12 years ago from a three year valiant and brave battle with ovarian cancer. She only lived to see three of her now fourteen grandchildren but I know that she has held and spoke with each one of them before they came to us. I always say that both of our kids came either right on time (Kinley) or late (Colton) because my mom wanted to hold on to them a little longer. I have two other neices who share their middle name with Kinley. Mallory Marsha Pearson and Katlynd Marsha Leatherwood were born a year apart on June 19th, my mother's birthday. I'd say that she had a hand in it :). Kinley will grow up knowing her grandmother through the stories and pictures that she'll hear and see. I hope that one day she'll understand the great legacy that her middle name bares and be proud to have the middle name of Marsha.


This is what my mom looked like when I was growing up. She loved to cook and was dang good at it.


My dad loving on my mom. His hair is a beautiful silver but for Halloween each year he dyes it dark to freak people out.


My mom was a perfectionist and always kept a clean and orderly home. I actually had to tell more than one teacher that my mom threw my homework away because if it was left on the counter for more than a day that's were it would end up.


My mother also loved jewelry. She always wore a necklace, earrings and usually a bracelet with her watch. I also love jewelry and when I was little I would play dress up with hers.


This was just a few weeks after we found out that my mom had 4th stage ovarian cancer and had had major surgery to take out what they could. My Grandma lived across the street from us and along with my Aunt Lolene (who moved from Massachusetts to be with her) helped care for her every day until her death.


A family picture just before my younger brother, Travis, was leaving on his two-year mission. We were lucky to have her with us at the airport. Her doctors said she could only go if she wore a mask as she had just started chemo and her immune system was weak.


When this picture was taken of her and I, she was doing the best yet. Her hair had started to grow back and she was able to travel a little with my dad. She definitely defied the odds of only living 6 weeks...she lived just over three years.


My beautiful mother shortly before her death. She was happiest when she was with her family, especially her grandchildren. I only wish that she could have met my amazing husband, Eric, who I know would've just loved her, especially her sense of humor. Love you Mom!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! You look just like her! What a beautiful woman. I know she's a proud mom and grandma smiling down from heaven. Rachel Dos Santos

    ReplyDelete